Re: scripts-caesura - glyph not quite right

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: scripts-caesura - glyph not quite right
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 13:19:15 +0200

Sorry, I didn't read the mail subject carefully enough.
Searching the mailing list archives, I realize that you were involved
in the original discussion about the design of the symbol. May I remind
you of Han-Wen's comment in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-05/msg00283.html
Also, it's better to send feature requests or bug reports (whatever you
want to call your email) to bug-lilypond or lilypond-devel, once you
have found a scanned example that can convince the LilyPond hackers.

   /Mats

Paul Scott wrote:
Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Just to avoid any risk of confusion, I hope that you have seen
the caesura already available in LilyPond:

\override BreathingSign  #'text =
         #(make-musicglyph-markup "scripts-caesura")
    es8[ d] \breathe  es[ f g f] |

This is taken from the example breathing-sign.ly in the Regression Tests
document.

Yes. Thanks. I have used it and it certainly got the job done. I presume it had some logical reason derived from the other slight variation for ancient music. Actually the modern use looks like it is probably directly derived from the ancient meaning.

It's just that all the printed music I have ever seen uses the form I am describing and since I use it quite a bit it's worth giving my input.

Thanks,

Paul

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing