Re: Lilypond 2.2 installs but software doesn't launch

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lilypond 2.2 installs but software doesn't launch
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:53:12 +0200

Please read
http://lilypond.org/web/download/windows.html
to get started.

Are you sure that the third file was called .lytxt? If it was
called .lytex, then you can't use the double-click feature of
ordinary .ly files but have to do something like the following:

- Copy the files to the directory C:/cygwin/home/<your login name>/
- Click on the Cygwin window to get a Cygwin command prompt.
- Run the following commands:
  lilypond-book <filename>.lytex
  latex <filename>.tex
  dvips -Ppdf -u+lilypond <filename>.dvi
which should give you a .pdf file with the score.

However, since LilyPond is still under heavy development, there's a
large risk that your .ly files don't match the LilyPond version that
you installed. In that case, you may first have to run the command
convert-ly -e *.ly
which (hopefully) will update all the syntax to your version.

I know this seems like a big mess if you just want to see a
single score, but there have been lots of emails on the list
from people who after a week or so of LilyPond usage claim that
it not only produces nicer typography than most other programs
but that it also is faster to enter music this way.

Good luck!

   /Mats

Tom Duda wrote:
Hello

Because I don't see that Lilypond 2.3 has been ported to Windows, I downloaded
and installed 2.2. When I launch lilypond-bin.exe, I see an empty Command
Prompt for a few seconds and then it closes.

My OS is Win XP Media Center with all critical updates installed. My CPU is
Pentium IV 2.6 gHz with 512 megs RAM and 30+ gigs free space on the partition
in which Lilypond resides. pagefile.sys is 1.6 gigs.

When I ran setup.exe, I left all packages at "Default" except for the folder
that contains Lilypond. In that folder, I selected Lilypond and accepted the other items
that became active in that folder. If it matters, I chose planetmirror.org as the source
server.

What is most frustrating is that I have just one music score, apparently
consisting of three files, that I want to see. For some reason, the person who
made the score available did not save it in PostScript format. I have two files
with a .ly extension and one with .lytxt extension.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Tom Duda

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems