Re: Two Problems: Appoggiatura and \alternative

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Two Problems: Appoggiatura and \alternative
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:17:49 +0200

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 03.50, Will Oram wrote:
> At the moment I can't break everywhere I want to. After testing the
> problem by breaking after every bar, I can safely say grace notes
> prevent breaks from happening.
>
> a4 b c d \break %%% OK break
> e d c b \break %%% bad break
> \appoggiatura b8 b1
>
> How can I force breaks on measures like these?

The example you give works fine here, i.e. the file

\version 2.2.5
\score { \notes \relative c'' {
a4 b c d \break %%% OK break
e d c b \break %%% bad break
\appoggiatura b8 b1
}}

gives the expected results.

If you want to demonstrate a problem by sending code snippets, it is much more
useful for us if you give a full .ly files that give the problem. Often when
I find something unexpected, I try to isolate the problem & create a .ly file
of about 10 lines that produces the problem. In this process I mostly find
that I did a mistake if it isn't a lilypond bug. In most cases you can just
strip all voices but one, and replace most of the music with something like
{c1 | c1 | c1 | .. }

The same applies to your second example: It is hard to reproduce the problem
without know what \spacing, \theSecondViolins, \barlines, etc., could be.

Erik