Re: another fingering question

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: another fingering question
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:38:16 +1000

> I don't know whether I'd be better off hard-coding the entire range of
> notes - about three octaves or more - or specifying all the open notes
> then specifying the fingering from the open note above.

This has been an interesting discussion! I hadn't thought about the
implications of hard-writing fingerings into music to be transposed.

A related (but much harder) problem is the situation where an arranger
specifies alternative fingerings. Apart from the suggested case of
tutorials for beginning students, this would be the most common use of
the fingering facility in brass music (and, I dare say, other types of
instrument as well.)

This would be quite difficult to automate, because there will be more
than one alternative for most notes of the second two octaves. Apart
from a simple 1-2 --> 3 substitution, knowing how to choose one apart
from the rest would be guess work.

I would suggest some sort of hash table (similar to the definitions for
drumStaffs) for fingerings. You may be able to suggest a default, and
allow arrangers to substitute their own definitions as appropriate. Of
course, if an arranger is going to go to the trouble of defining all
this it may be easier to manually go through the score and change
everything by hand.

How easy this is to do in the real world I don't know, but I'll be very
interested to see what you come up with. Thanks for giving it a go!

Cameron