Mid-Bar Breaking

From: Will Oram
Subject: Mid-Bar Breaking
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 01:24:32 -0400

If I do this, I get a midbar break without complaining:

g4 r r\fermata \bar "||" \break
                r4
a b c d

The side effect of this is that, regardless of whether the next line has any music in it or not, it is still shown. Normally multibar rest hiding would cover this, but because of the quarter rest pushed to the next line, this line technically contains music and is shown. In sections of large scores in which the majority of instruments are not playing, this means a LOT of instruments doing nothing are printed anyway.

This can be ameliorated by capitalising the quarter rest:

 g4 r r\fermata \bar "||" \break
                R4
a b c d

The side effect of THIS, though, is that lily complains of a failed bar check. Multiply this warning for every instrument performing, and you get a very, very long output in terminal through false alarms. There has to be a way to get the output of the second phrase without all the complaints. Right?

Will Oram
spamguy ^^AT^^ foxchange.com // william.oram ^^AT^^ cwru.edu // AIM spamguy21