Re: Installation Problems

From: Christ van Willegen
Subject: Re: Installation Problems
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:01:50 +0100

Hello Thomas,

please try to keep all discussions on the list...

If you reply, use the 'reply to all' command in your mail program.

> Dear Christ,
>
> Many thanks for your message. Alas, repeated
> installations and downloads couldn't solve the
> problem.
So, it seems that Cygwin did correctly install all files, after all,
and the problem may lie somewhere else.

> Do I perhaps need to install some auxillary software?
Cygwin should (als probably has) install all software needed to run Lilypond.

> There are some remarks on
>
> http://lilypond.org/download/fonts/INSTALL ,
>
> but they are almost incomprehensible to a
> narrow-minded Windows user like me. ;)
These remarks are targeted at Linux machines, so you can rest assured
that it wasn't necessary for you to comprehend :-)

> Best wishes,
>
> Thomas
>
> P.S. Do I have to join some mailing list to be
> officially eligible for your kind support?

You've sent you initial e-mail to address@hidden, which is the
main mailing list used by Lilypond users to discuss Lilypond features,
and installation problems. So, you don't need to subscribe (but I
recommend that you do!) to receive help.

Ok, now for some more problem-solving tips...

Cygwin should install an icon on your desktop, that looks like the
icon you can find on http://www.cygwin.com/ (the main Cygwin site). If
you click it, a 'DOS window' should appear. Instead of C:> (or D:>),
you should see a $ sign.

Try typing these commands:

which kpsexpand

and

lilypond -v

Also, please make sure that the file test.ly is called that, and not
(accidentally) test.ly.txt. Although, by the looks of the error
message you received, the file is called just that (because Lilypond
_was_ invoked), it is never wrong to check.

Hope this helps (a bit...)

Christ van Willegen