Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:15:48 +0200

> As noted in two previous posts, LilyPond 2.6 for Windows produces
> a  .PS  file, not a  .PDF  file.

This is an unfortunate bug, that should have been solved in one of the
many 2.5 test releases.

> A) To use Ghostview 4.7 plus Ghostscript 8.51, should I try to find all
> the font files scattered throughout the LilyPond distribution and copy
> them to a subdirectory which I will then add to Ghostview's Include List
> for Ghostscript? This way I would wind up having two Fontmap files, one
> Fontmap that came with the Ghostview 4.7 distribution (from the WISC.EDU
> Ghostscript mirror), and another Fontmap that came with LilyPond; can I
> merge these two, manually eliminating duplications and conflicts?

No, the feta fonts are embedded, just set GS_FONTPATH to c:/windows/fonts.

> B) The .PS file produced by LilyPond is very large (684K), and perusing
> blocks.  Why should these fonts have to be
> embedded in the  .PS  file, since the 3 font-files in question exist (in
> LilyPond subdirectories) and therefore could be referenced (one way or
> another).

We keep improving and adding to the LilyPond fonts all the time, so
the output must be self contained.  The PS is intermediate anyway.

Jan.