Re: note and dynamics collisions in lilypond

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: note and dynamics collisions in lilypond
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 19:52:46 -0500

Mats wrote:
From: "Mats Bengtsson" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 4:41 AM

Quoting Erik Sandberg <address@hidden>:

Hi,

This kind of emails should go to the mailing lists (either -user or -devel).
CC:d to lilypond-user.

On Saturday 02 July 2005 21.51, Stephen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have you heard whether there is a move to eliminate collisions between
> notes and dynamics?

dynamics work the same way as text.
Except that the properties should be set on another layout object
than the TextScript.

That would be DynamicText. I just started extra-offset to move those around. It is different from Text in that it uses a different font, it only contains the letters needed for absolute dynamics: p, f, s, z, and r. I think.

But it needs to have even more of a distinction from text than it has; unlike text which is a line and has a horizontal span which can only be meaningfully placed above or below the note it is attatched to, an absolute dynamic is more of a symbol which should be able to be placed above, below, or to the left of the note, like a fingering indication. In fact, Absolute Dynamics are typically to the left of its note in piano music when they are not centered between the staves. When they are running horizontally between the staves, the Dynamic is meant to affect all voices simutaneously.

Stephen

Have you read the manual section
"Changing
defaults"?

BTW, there's no explicit bug in our bug archive about dynamics colliding with
notes; can you send a short .ly example when this occurs?

Dynamics will always be placed at a minimum distance from the
note it is attached to (thanks to the padding property), but it
may very well collide with the following notes.

  /Mats