Lilypond 2.6 on Windows 98

From: Michael Kirchner
Subject: Lilypond 2.6 on Windows 98
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:33:16 +0200

Hi,

I read in the FAQ:

boxquote1:
On Windows 95, 98 and ME there are problems with the Cygwin Python
package, which may hamper the unencumbered operation of LilyPond (see
python fails testsuite). LilyPond itself should be usable, but clicking
on a .ly file to produce a PDF, lilypond-book, and midi2ly may not work.
Unfortunately, these problems are outside control of the LilyPond
development team. Windows NT, 2000 and XP are not affected.
-

these are quite my experiences, even thought I do not use the cygwin
installation, but the native Windows: The ps file is still written but
when the script calls gs with pdfwrite nothing happens. Actually running
the same commandline with the right GS_LIB and GS_FONTPATH set in the
environment of the commandline returns the pdf as wanted.

I tried to get the paths into lilypond, but was not successful. I found
some "variables.sh" in the bin directory and changed it, but that did
not work. I also tried to further add a -L switch to the gs call in
"backend-library.scm", but this too did not work.

Is there a way to set the GS_LIB in the environment of the scripts?

And: should gs.exe or gswin32.exe be called?

Other than that, I am quite happy. On my XP system it runs without
problems. Thanks for a fine piece of software.

Please CC: my email, as I did not subscribe to the list.

Regards,
--
                          Michael Thomas Kirchner