Re: page break in markup

From: stk
Subject: Re: page break in markup
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 00:55:35 -0400 (EDT)

Graham Percival wrote on 2005 July 29 --

> I'd like to insert a page break in the middle of
> a long \markup section (or between two separate
> \markup sections). This is for a large \book; I'd
> like to have two or three pages of text before
> beginning the music.

One would think that just inserting PostScript page-ejects
would work --

\version "2.6.0"
%  #(set-default-paper-size "a4")
\book {
   \markup { "Page 1 stuff" }
   \markup { \postscript #"showpage" }
   \markup { "Page 2 stuff" }
   \markup { \postscript #"showpage" }
   \markup { "Page 3 stuff" }
   \score  { \new Staff { c c c c } }
}

But it isn't good enough:  the page breaks do indeed occur,
but each successive page has more & more wasted white space
at the top.  I don't know if this is caused by PostScript
or by something having to do with LilyPond margins or
page-headers.  Possibly, fiddling with the settings in a
\paper block might help, but I haven't tried that yet.

Or there might be a vertical back-up command in PostScript,
but my knowledge of the PS language is woefully limited.

Uncommenting the
   % #(set-default-paper-size "a4")
had no effect, and changing the choice (to "letter"
for example) did not change the appearance of the
resulting PDF file either.

-- Tom