Re: time signature above staff AND Notes instead of numbers

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: time signature above staff AND Notes instead of numbers
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:47:23 +0200

Bec and John Silva wrote:
Hi Mats,

Thanks for that, I'm almost there. A problem I'm having is that when I use:

\mark \markup { \hspace #-3.0 \lower #0.0 { \number \teeny { \bracket \column { "6" "4" } } } }

The pseudo-time signature is very far above the staff, and using \lower lowers the entire staff instead of lowering the markup. Since I'm using this as a means to show time signature changes without putting it in the staff lines, I'm using that markup within the part.

If I change it to:

s1*0^\markup { \hspace #-3.0 \lower #0.0 { \number \teeny { \bracket \column { "6" "4" } } } }

It is at a better height, however there are still 2 problems. 1) Even though I move the time signature over to the bar line, it still refuses to go lower than the first note in the measure - so if the note is above the staff lines the pseudo-time signature becomes too high. 2) Since I'm using \teeny, the space between the numbers is too much - how can I make the numbers closer together?

Thanks!

- John

I would make a context LargeTimeSignatures which contains only a Time_signature_engraver, something like

\header {
  texidoc = "Time signatures may be put on a separate staff.
This is used contemporary pieces with many time signatures
"
\layout {
  raggedright =  ##T
}

\layout{
  \context {
    \type "Engraver_group_engraver"
    \consists "Time_signature_engraver"
    \consists "Axis_group_engraver"
    \name "TimeSig"
    \override TimeSignature #'font-size = #4
  }
  \context {
    \Score \accepts TimeSig
  }

  \context { \Staff \remove "Time_signature_engraver" }
}

\relative
<< \new Staff { \time 2/4 c2 \time 3/4 c2. \time 4/4 c1 }
   \new TimeSig {
     \skip 1 * 2
   }
   \new Staff { r4 r r