Re: Preferred way for text

From: Trevor Baca
Subject: Re: Preferred way for text
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:23:09 -0500

On 8/26/05, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Depends on what you want to use it for.
>
> For a longer section of text, such as lyrics lines for some verses
> of a song, you can actually have a \markup{...} completely outside the
> \score{...}.
>
> Hans de Rijck wrote:
> > Hi gurus,
> >
> > What is the preferred way to add general texts?
> > So far I've found two ways that are reasonably 'universal':
> >
> > \mark \markup { MyText }
>
> gives you a textual indication over a bar line or between notes.
>

> > or
> >
> > s1*0 ^\markup { MyText }
>
> gives you a textual indication over a note (assuming that the s1*0
> starts at the same time as a note).
> >
> > where the latter has the possibility to position the text above the staff.
>
> Yes, assuming that you mean that you can have different text over
> different staves, as opposed to \mark which only places text over
> the top stave.
>
> > or is there another way that should be used for general purpose?
>
> Too general question to answer!
>
> R1^\markup { MyText } for texts centered over full measure rests, for
> example.

That exchange right there might beneficially add to the manual at
section 8.1.3 or 8.1.4.

* external \markup { } for a block of text outside a score
* \mark \markup { } for text over a barline or between notes (and only
above the topmost staff)
* _\markup { } and ^\markup { } for text below or above the a single
staff, respectively
* R1^\markup { } for text centered over fullmeasure rests

... with an example of each.

Those uses are quite clear to me now, but they certainly weren't at
the beginning.

Trevor Bača
address@hidden