Re: Yet another font problem

From: stk
Subject: Re: Yet another font problem
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:45:25 -0400 (EDT)

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Maybe lilypond should come with its own version of fc-list, so everyone
> can check out the names for the fonts installed. This feature is
> eligible for sponsoring.

Well, for what it's worth, in Windows 98 you can find font files -- click
Start --> Find --> Files or Folders...
and you get a dialog box with 3 tabs.
In the drop-down list for Look In,  select (C:)
but leave the Named box and the Containing Text box blank.
Then click the Advanced tab,
and in the drop-down list for Of Type, select Font File
and then click Find Now
and the results will show a list of so-called font files present anywhere
on the C: drive.

However, you have to do this again, but this time
in the drop-down list for Of Type, select True Type Font File
and then click Find Now,
and the new results will show a list of all TrueType font files on C:
This is the list that most people will find useful.

Windows XP must have an equivalent procedure.

However, since Windows is such a disorganized mess, I can't be sure
whether doing the above will really find all the fonts on the system.

I also realize that a user who (hypothetically) finds font files installed
in some nonstandard directory on the C: drive will have to find a way to
tell LilyPond where that directory is.

-- Tom