Re: Resume writing to a staff later

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Resume writing to a staff later
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:05:44 +0200

Wilbert Berendsen wrote:
I'm in the process of switching more and more of my typesetting jobs from Mup to Lilypond,

good!

> but I have some trouble getting used to the way Lilypond
wants me to write every full staff and then combine them in a score.

I would rather write a few measures for every staff and then the next few measures, etc. so that the different voices are close together in the source file.

Is it possible to start a context with notes and later write other notes to that context? I didn't get it right so far. E.g.

\context Voice="soprano" { c d e f | g a d b}
\context Voice="alto" { a b c d | a b c d }
and then later
\context Voice="soprano" { d e f g } % etc.

TIA for any help.

you could do

  sopranoNotes = { c d e f}

  sopranoNotes = { \sopranoNotes g a b c }
  ..

  \context Voice = "soprano" \sopranoNotes

I can also devise code to automate this a little more if you're willing to cover the development costs. Then you could do something like

  #(start-slices "soprano" "alto")
  { c d e f } % sopr
  { a b c d } % alto
  { d e f g } % sopr