RE: Ties in second endings

From: Fairchild
Subject: RE: Ties in second endings
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:35:02 -0500

Mats -

You must be right.  I recall seeing a third ending inserted with only one staff, but can't repeat it.

Here's an example of what happens with a grace note on one of two staves.

\version "2.4.6"
\layout { raggedright = ##t }
\score{ \relative c' <<
\new Staff { \repeat volta 2 { a'1 ~ }
\alternative{ { a } { \grace a8~ a1 } }}
\new Staff { \repeat volta 2 { f1 }
\alternative{ { d } { d1 } }} >> }

This has been a good thread, presenting several alternatives for ties into a second ending.  I agree with Werner; a standard way should be provided -- all the tricks are flaky.  My post that condenses the thread is intended to indicate in the doc that no standard way exists and to give one way.

                             - Bruce