Re: Accidental placement above/below note

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Accidental placement above/below note
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:10:03 -0400

On Friday 23 September 2005 01:31 pm, Ruud van Silfhout wrote:
> As I am just an amateur regarding music notation I have a question
> concening the attached piece of music.
> The natural shown below the last note, is that meant as a natural
> normally placed before the note?

It is a comment.  If you want it played, best put it before the note.
It's commonly used in textbooks, not so much in performing editions.

 And is this an alternative (standard)
> notation for accidentals?  And if so, can this be done by lilypond. I
> know you can of course do this by adding a markup, but I was wondering
> if this could be done using some kind of property of accidentals or
> accidentalplacement. I also think that the accidental is somewhat
> smaller than the normal accidental.

Yes.  You don't really need it unless you are writing something
about music, rather than music.  daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  Nothing else is close.