New user question

From: Kress, Stephen
Subject: New user question
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:01:14 -0500

I have just completed my first score with LilyPond and I am *very* impressed and pleased with the quality and the flexibility I have.  One of the main things I'm using it for is to rescore pieces to landscape and condensing out whitespace.  Because of my vision (I have special glasses), and the angle a clarinet requires, wider and shorter is better.  So far, it is working out beautifully.

I do have two questions.  I was able to reproduce my source score perfectly (with a couple of tweaks for the way I prefer) except for two things.

I like to have every measure numbered under the staff (easy enough) except that I can't find a way to have the first measure labeled with a '1' (I have a pick-up (partial) measure so was hoping to be able to do this).  When I don't have a pick-up measure, I don't care as much, but it would be nice to do this when I do have one.  I haven't tried this, but would it work to put the \override's for the Score.BarNumber after the first note?

Second, there are a pair of marks that I cannot find anywhere in the documentation.  I've always heard them called "intro marks" though there may be a more "official" name; the first is the top and left lines of a square and the second is the top and right of a square.  You see this a lot in hymns and are used to mark a phrase (such as part of the chorus) as what to play as an intro for the song.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Especially for all the great work!

Stephen