Re: Completing the Lilypond puzzle

From: A. Deubelbeiss
Subject: Re: Completing the Lilypond puzzle
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:13:22 +0200

Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:16:25 +0000
From: "lars prins" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden

>I tried this:
>
>pages = {
> % 4 pages with 6 systems each
>  \override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'()   % line added by me
>  \repeat unfold 24 { s1 \break }
>}
>
>but this replaces the 'C' by 4/4. I would rather have
>nothing at all.
>
>I also tried adding
>
>    \override TimeSignature #’transparent = ##t
>
>in various places, with the \override and without.
>It is either ignored, or Lilypond doesn't generate
>anything at all, not even an error message.

Ouch. You've run into a bug in the interaction between lilypond and the .pdf manual. Took me two weeks of on-and-off head-banging to even notice what was going on ...

The problem is (fairly well) hidden in the

\override TimeSignature #’transparent = ##t

which I suspect you copy-and-pasted from the manual. That line would do what you want, except that the .pdf version of the manual has it wrong: the character before "transparent" should be ' rather than ’ (compare your #'style = #'() further up, which works). Lilypond (or possibly one of its underlings) can't handle the ’ character, and when one occurs it dies unceremoniously and without an error message.

The bugs list knows about this and is discussing possible fixes to both the program and the docs, but for the time being you'll have to either go to the .html version of the manual (which has the right character in those cases), or use the .pdf manual with a copy-paste-and-repair approach instead of plain copy-and-paste.