MIDI Input/Invoke

From: James McFadyen (sent by Nabble.com)
Subject: MIDI Input/Invoke
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:07:01 -0800 (PST)

First of all, sorry if this has come up before (I did try the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for)

I'm look for help on invoking MIDI, that is to convert a MIDI file into a .ly Lilypond File. I'm using Lilypond 2.7 on Windows XP.

The Lilypond manual isn't user-friendly enough in this respect, it tells you what to do but doesn't give you a working example. It also says to invoke it from the command line. Does this mean I click Start - Run and then type in cmd to bring up the command prompt and then invoke from there, if so I've tried it with no luck...

So here's what I need to know..

1) How do I 'invoke' MIDI (ie where EXACTLY does the code get written in order to start the invoke process)

2) How the syntax of the code should be written. The manual give a breif description but it isn't clear on what the exact syntax is.

I need to know everything there is to turn a MIDI file into a Lilypond file. I have been using Sibelius, but have recently saw the light and started using Lilypond (what a fab program) Just need a way to get my Sibelius scores into Lilypond format and the only way to do that at present is to export the Sibelius file as a MIDI file and somehow change the MIDI file into Lilypond by so-called 'invoking'.

Like I said, I'm using Windows XP (not Linux) so would appreciate any advice anyone can give me to turn my MIDI files into Lilypond files.

Sent from the Gnu - Lilypond - User forum at Nabble.com.