Re: Windows GUI

From: Aaron Mehl
Subject: Re: Windows GUI
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 07:50:42 -0800 (PST)

--- "Folkert (sent by Nabble.com)" <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I justed installed Lilypond on my computer and now
> I'm looking for a windows graphical user interface.
> Everything I find on the net is either commercial,
> for linux or not being updated anymore.

Hi a few caveats.

If you use a graphical editor for lilypond, I
recommend still learning to use it as text. Even the
best gui will not be as flexible and as fast as
entering text.

That said there are a few ways you can go with a gui.

1. Install linux and use the gui enviroments there
2. Try out the new Denemo version (still untested) for
windows. Denemo is I will warn you very different than
any gui so it has a learning curve (entry is as quick
or quicker than plain text)
3. Get any windows gui that exports to musicxml and
convert the musicxml to lilypond. I myself haven't had
so much success with musicxml2ly but I only tried it
once. In theory this will permit you to use any gui.

But a question just shouts to be asked, have you tried
jedit and plain old text yet?

tons of windows users who are used to a gui are now
happily coding in plain old text, and never thought
they would/could.

I actually use Denemo so I am not against a gui, but
the issue is that to get the most out of lilypond you
still need to know lilypond.

If you want to try the windows version of Denemo let
me know I will be glad to get you a copy.

Best wishes
Aaron