Re: line breaks

From: Thies Albrecht
Subject: Re: line breaks
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:29:09 +0100 (MET)

Hi Graham!

> Eh?  The docs already state that you can only have a line break at a
> bar line.  Should we specify that bar lines only occur at the end of a
> bar?
To be clear what I'm talking about:

The (fragment of an) example below gives two bars of music, which will be
displayed correctly by Lilypond. As there is a half on beat #4 in measure
#1, which lasts 'til beat #1, measure #2, the next 'c' will be (correctly)
set on beat #2, measure #2.

There IS a bar line between these two measures, ... but I wasn't able to
make Lilypond to put a line break there... and that's my problem. So my
suggestion would be to put something like

"only at bar lines WHEN THERE IS A COMPLETE MEASURE PRECEEDING..."

to the manual.

I asked about that before, whether there should be a break possible or not,
as I read that part of the manual as often as can be, to be sure, that I
didn't miss a thing.

Perhaps I missed something in this thread, so my last post could have been
misunderstood.

Example:
--------

\time 4/4   c4   c2   c2