Re: Helping with the documentation

From: Geoff Horton
Subject: Re: Helping with the documentation
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:45:30 -0400

> So I was thinking of a method to make contibuting to the docs more easy.
> Perhaps it's a good idea to set up a wiki for the docs.

I'm of two minds about this. The advantages you point out are real,
but I also encounter a lot of frustration with wiki-based docs; for
one thing, there's no very good way to make a quick scan through them
looking for something. That makes answers are even harder to find if
your mind doesn't work the same way as that of the person who wrote
the section in question, or if the answer to your question is covered
in a place completely different from where you expect it to be. I
often find answers just by loading the full-page version of the docs
(off my hard drive, so it's quick), doing a text search for a string,
and looking at the material around hits to see if it looks like I'm in
the right place. Most search engines don't return enough context for
this to work well.

Geoff