Re: Feature requests

From: Eduardo Vieira
Subject: Re: Feature requests
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:59:08 -0300

Hi Jake,
I took a look in the score. I see that vocal music in Lilypond have many
approaches for setting up lyrics, and the one used in this score wasn't very
successful. To correct all the problems would take an extra effort that I
will leave it up to you. I'm still learning the "lyrics management" in
Lilypond, but in order to get better results you should do this with the
score:
---> Instead of using \markup \italic, use: \override LyricText #'font-shape
= #'italic, then use \revert, when necessary. The text will be part of the
lyrics, not a text markup anymore, so you'd have to change the melisma or
whatever adaptation he did with the notes because of the markups.
---> Using \context Lyrics="l1" \textocantus, the lyrics won't be properly
aligned unless you specify the duration of each syllable, I think, for
instance: A2 -- scen4 -- dens4, etc.
Since doing that is more work than youd'd want, you'd better have this
setup: Explicit voice contexts, like this \context Voice = Sopone {
\cantus }
\context Lyrics="l1" lyricsto Sopone \textocantus.

I hope this works.

Best regards,

Eduardo

P.S. I and Geoff Horton are going to make some contributions to the docs
about Vocal Music in a near future, that's why I'm researching more about
lily's lyrics management.