Re: Macro pre-processing?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Macro pre-processing?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:27:56 +0200

Quoting Geoff Horton <address@hidden>:
As LilyPond has matured, has its ease of use has quite kept pace with
its output capabilities? If the goal is to make it easy for many
people to make beautiful-looking music, isn't it worth checking now
and then to see if there are simple ways to make that easier?

Not necessarily! However, the flexibility and capability has increased
tremendously. It's very often that people on the mailing list request notation features that Han-Wen and the other implementors
never thought of when doing the implementation. Still, it's surprisingly
often that it's very easy to obtain the desired notation with the existing version of the program. Over the years, I've learned that this is a deliberate priorization by the main hackers. I'm certainly
one of those who have questioned if this is the right choice, but
I'm certainly amazed by the flexibility and generality of the program.

Let's all follow Graham's advice and spend our energy on providing
concrete ideas on how to improve the documentation and the program
itself.

  /Mats