Re: mac osx point and click editor

From: Sean Reed
Subject: Re: mac osx point and click editor
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 16:55:46 +0200

Hi again,

Same question, after some newly failed attempts on my part.

A new phrasing of the question:

Does anybody know how to change the text editor application that is opened when you point-and-click on a .pdf file of a lilypond score in MacOSX 10.4.6?

Is that even possible?

In chapter 12.7 of the current manual (2.9.3) it says lilypond-invoke- editor tests the environment variable for EDITOR. I first changed the EDITOR in my .profile, but clicking on a note in the .pdf image still opened the appropriate .ly file with the LilyPond.app.

I then followed the directions in a rather old link from the apple developers website to create a .MacOSX folder and an environment.plist, and in that I put:
<key>EDITOR</key>
<string>the/path/to/my/other/text/application/</string>

...and logged out and back in.
Clicking on a note in the pdf image still opened the appropriate .ly file with LilyPond.app.

I have nothing against the LilyPond.app, but I do most of my texts with TextWrangler, including my lilypond scores, and I thought it would be convenient to have the point-and-click open the appropriate files again right into that editor.

I'd be very grateful for any clues.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Reed
Hamburg, Germany
www.seanreed.de

Reading Appendix D of the manual (2.8), it seems the default editor for point and click indeed CAN be changed, but the manual is -- to me, at least -- completely unclear on how to do so. It is, at least, clear to me that no fiddling with OS X (e.g. the Get Info advice I gave earlier) will accomplish what you want. There's some kind of environment variable that must be changed,
and it looks like once you have done that you are in tall cotton.

--
Carrick Patterson
Little Rock AR