Re: Ossia fragments in 2.8.2

From: Shamus
Subject: Re: Ossia fragments in 2.8.2
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:42:27 -0700

> My point was that it should be a complete example that people
> can run directly through LilyPond. In your \score block, you refer
> to a number of identifiers that are not included.

Ah, ok. Gotcha. I didn't understand what you were getting at.

> It should be possible
> to write an example which is as small as [...example snipped...]
> to illustrate the same problem.

Which it does.

> I'm not sure if this solves your problem. Also, I don't know if there's
> any better method to specify exactly what should be printed when the
> stave stops or starts again.

Well, it does and and it doesn't. I could certainly do it that way and
ink in the bar line by hand in a pinch before making copies, but seems
to me that this is something that program should be doing for me
automatically (I know lily isn't perfect, and I'm not afraid of coding
workarounds as needs manifest themselves). I notice in the example that
it has no problems with regular bar lines, but voltas seem to mess
things up. Here's an example without voltas (which shows proper behavior):

\score{
\relative c' <<
 \new Staff{ R1 | c4 d e f | c4 d e f | g f e d | }
 \new Staff{ c d e f \stopStaff s1 \startStaff | g4 f e d | }

}

In a perfect world, when \stopStaff occurs at the beginning of a volta
it would print up to the barline (ideally with a single bar line) and
nothing beyond (i.e., the volta technically hasn't started, why should
it show up in my ossia fragment? If the page breaks on the volta, you
end up with a repeat symbol sitting on empty staff lines wasting
precious space). Simalarly, when \startStaff occurs at the end of a
volta it should start with a single bar line and not print anything
before. I don't know that something like that is even possible without
making changes to the backend, but perhaps one of the developers could
weigh in on this issue?

-- Shamus