RE: Coexisting 2.8 with 2.4

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: RE: Coexisting 2.8 with 2.4
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 22:43:19 +0200

Quoting Fairchild <address@hidden>:

Mats -

Thanks for your usual thoughtful response.

IMO, at 2.4 LilyPond achieved four stars.

Many have invested extensive effort in creating quality scores with various
versions.  To encourage upgrading there should be some automated mechanism
for upward compatibility, or earlier versions should be supported.

The string replacement capabilities in convert-ly are useful, but far from
adequate.

While added Lily features are welcome, many changes are effort-consuming to
convert with no apparent gain.  An trivial example: \markup { \column < {"A"
"B" } { "C" "D" } > }  has changed syntax and result.

See ** inserts below.

                        - Bruce