Re: Can't set next-padding - it's ignoring me

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Can't set next-padding - it's ignoring me
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:23:32 +0200

"Anthony Youngman" <address@hidden> writes:

> Well it was ... then I copied the example in the manual and it blows up
> on me ...
>
> I'm trying to globally over-ride the next-padding property to squeeze
> more systems on a page (ie get the entire piece on one page and not have
> an orphan system on page 2). There's an example in the manual about
> using \outputProperty which I've copied but it refuses to work.
>
>       \outputProperty #"Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn"
> #'line-break-system-details #'((next-padding . 5))
>
> I've tried it in the \score context, the \paper and the \layout context.
> It blows up every time with "unrecognized escaped string
> outputProperty". What am I doing wrong?

You're trying to set a padding property for the whole book, with an
operator which aims at tweaking a single system padding. Have you read
carefuly chapter 11 "Spacing issues" in the manual before asking here?
More precisely: 11.3.3 Vertical spacing between systems (does this title
rings a bell?)
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/Vertical-spacing-between-systems.html

The paper property to tune are between-system-padding and
between-system-space.

\paper {
  between-system-padding = 5
  between-system-space = 0.1
  annotate-spacing = ##t
  ragged-bottom=##t
}

\repeat unfold 4 << \new Staff { g'1 \break } \new Staff c' >>