Re: neo-mensural time signatures

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: neo-mensural time signatures
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:57:00 +0200

See the first example in the section on Polymetric notation for information on how to modify the time signature with whatever
text markup. I'm not an expert in neomensural notation, but as
far as I can understand, the time signature concepts used in that
music are so different from modern time signatures, so it's a bit arbitrary how to do the translation.

  /Mats

Quoting Orm Finnendahl <address@hidden>:

Hi,

I'm trying to typeset a piece of renaissance music in neomensural
style and would like to use the neo-mensural time signature
glyphs. Unfortunately they are preset to decode 3/2 or 2/2 bars
although the tempus imperfectum or perfectum should get translated
into 2 or 3 semibrevis which means in lilypond into 2/1 or 3/1 (for a
thorough explanation in german see section "Weisse Mensuralnotation
(ca. 1430-1600)" at http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensuralnotation )

The result: If I set the timesignature to 3/2 I get double as many
bars as wanted.

Is there any workaround?

Yours,
Orm

BTW: Is there any good reason for lilypond's translation of the tempus
perfectum into 3/2? Maybe it'd be a good idea to change it altogether
and for good in future versions?