Re: Tying only one note of a chord?

From: Magnus Lewis-Smith
Subject: Re: Tying only one note of a chord?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:39:07 +1200

From: " Trevor Ba?a " <address@hidden>
Subject: Tying only one note of a chord?
To: lilypond-user <address@hidden>

Hi,

Is it possible to tie only one note of a chord? This snippet using the
tie-configuration property of the TieColumn is basically what I'm
looking for, except that the tie prints three times, giving too heavy
a weight.

%%% BEGIN %%%

\version "2.9.13"

\new Staff {
   <
      c'
      e'
      g'
   >4 ~
   \once \override TieColumn #'tie-configuration = #'((-4 . -1) (-4 .
-1) (-4 . -1))
   <
      c'
      e'
      g'
   >4
}

%%% END %%%

Is there a way to say explicitly "tie only the e in the chord"?

Trevor

I would split the chord into two voices:

\new Staff {
  << { g'4~ } \\ { <c' e'>4 } >>
  << { g'4 } \\ { <c' e'>4 } >>
}

Of course, this will mean you have stems up and down (and setting stem directions will give 'clashing note columns' errors). If you need/want to keep the chord in one voice and still tie the g, you could hide notes with:

%%% once-hide-note
ohn = {
  \once\override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t
  \once\override Stem #'transparent = ##t
  \once\override Dots #'transparent = ##t
  \once\override Beam #'transparent = ##t
  \once\override Rest #'transparent = ##t
}

\new Staff {
}

Further tweaking might be required to position the hidden note correctly, but I find it easier to shift a note around than ties and things

Hope that helps
Magnus