Re: Stack overflow problem

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Stack overflow problem
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:50:36 +0200

Valentin Villenave schreef:
Hello,
I'm a French composer and I'm planing to use lilypond for a rather
ambitious project, so I need to know if it's reliable enough to
process huge orchestral scores.

Since I did'nt find anything big enough on mutopia, I've downloaded a
midi file on the midi classical archive (yeah it sucks, I won't do it
again I promise), I converted it using midi2ly, and updated it using
convert-ly for better compatibility.

It was originally a 29KB dirty midi file, and then I got a 20KB cute
little ly text. It's an orchestral Stravinsky excerpt.

This is a bad idea. A dirty midi file won't have note-ends aligned with barlines, which means that the entire score will end up in one huge line without breaks. This will undoubtedly stretch lilypond performance in unexpected ways.

If you want to test, write a little python script to generate random notes.

The largest i've seen is 48 staves/385 measures, I think. Try running input/mutopia/claop.py to generate the 750k .ly file.

So I run lilypond... and : "ERROR : Stack overflow"

there seems to be a problem with guile ; I've seen John Mandereau has
got the same problem.

So my question is : does it mean lilypond is'nt strong enough to
handle massive full scores ? Can I really trust it ? Do you need a

No. There are _no_ hardcoded limits inside lilypond. You will need lots of ram though.

Can you try if it helps when you add

 #(debug-set! stack 0)

if that doesn't help, try

  #(eval-set! stack 50000)

(or another large number. The default for this setting is 22000)

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com