Re: Lyrics collide with barlines

From: Marcus Macauley
Subject: Re: Lyrics collide with barlines
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:18:59 -0400

Catalin Francu wrote:
Every now and then, lyrics will collide with barlines.
Ideally, I'd like a way to tell Lilypond "I want at least two mm of
space between barlines and text".

Hi Catalin,

This doesn't quite address your question/gripe, but for what it's worth, if a piece of regular text markup is colliding with a barline and you want the barline to be "blanked out" around it (rather than avoiding the collision in some other way), you can change:
   \markup { "your text" }

to:
   \markup { \whiteout "your text" }

...and voila!

(\whiteout is documented in the manual, "8.1.6 Overview of text markup commands")

Something analogous may be possible with lyrics, too, although it would have to be done on a case-by-case basis, and it may not be the effect you want.

Marcus