Is Lilypond right for this need?

From: Cliff Pruitt
Subject: Is Lilypond right for this need?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:59:33 -0500

Hi All,
I wrote earlier today about a first time use question and got a very helpful answer, so first let me say thanks to the list as a whole.

I'm starting to learn Lilypond and I think its a great piece of software. Obviously there is a learning curve but I'm OK with that. Before I get too far into it, however, I want to be sure Lilypond is the right tool for the job at hand and I'm hoping for some advice from some of you that have experience with the app.

I lead music for my church and am looking for a piece of software to allow me to create the lead sheets for my band. I am having to re- create my entire music library after the theft of a laptop and I'm taking the opportunity to try & increase the quality of our sheets. I have bits & pieces of theory training and am trying to self teach myself to fill in the holes, but I'm a novice at best.

So, what I need is a piece of software that can be very basic to begin with, but allow me to expand as the team grows in experience. I used to use a regular word processor for my sheets, but that obviously does not let me transpose or include any actual music notation when its apropriate.

In step 1 I need to just provide lyrics for my vocalists, and lyrics with chord names for the musicians. So for example I would need the Lilypond equivalent of:

G      D       C         D
  Over all the earth You reign on

high

My challenge in reading the tutorials is that I am not very proficient in working out the correct rhythmic structures. I would like to enter lyrics based really on nothing more than measures, and then be sure that the chord names are above the correct syllable. I can't seem to figure out how to do this correctly for several reasons. For one, I cant figure out how to include a space in the lyrics when there are chords without vocals. Is it required that the lyrics match their own melody line? I suppose that would be logical.

I guess my questions is, is Lilypond geared toward formal music to the extent that there is no easy way to use it for simple chord sheets until I become proficient enough to use it for melody lines?

Thanks so much for any advice,
Cliff