Re: Is Lilypond right for this need?

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Is Lilypond right for this need?
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:19:10 +0100

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 21:21, Cliff Pruitt wrote:
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> The suggestions would be great if I were more proficient at writing
> out music in general. I think what I'm trying to figure out is the
> best way to approximate the correct phrases quickly without taking
> the time to be accurate.  I'm very slow at determining music notation
> and for me to actually work out the note durations for all of our
> songs would take forever (I'm working of guitar lessons I had back
> when I was in high school & early college).  I know HOW to work it
> out (conceptually) but its a very slow & unnatural process for me.
>
> My main requirements are:
> - Have a chord line up over the right word

Hm, there are mechanisms which should make it possible to align words to
chords, but it probably requires some nonstandard trickery. Probably you can
do something like

harmonies = \new ChordNames="harmonies" \chordmode {
     b2 f2 es2 f2/es % and so on ...
 }

\score {
<<
  \harmonies
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "harmonies" { Over "all the" earth "You reign on"
high }

% so that lyrics can align to music in the context
\context { \ChordNames \alias "Voice" }

}

If rhythm is unimportant, you can try \cadenzaOn (turns off automatic
barlines), and then use \bar "|" to add bars.

--
Erik