Re: changing proportional notation duration in mid-line

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: changing proportional notation duration in mid-line
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:19:40 +0100

Am 20. November 2006, 11:50 Uhr (-0600) schrieb Trevor Bača:

> Additionally, as of the 2.9 series there's a \newSpacingSection
> command available that might be useful if the spacing characteristics
> of the piece change for a define period of time. The 2.10 NEWS file
> gives an example.

Thanks for the notice, I'll look into it. Proportional Notation in
lilypond is far from what the name suggests: The output often is a
mess (measures, which are too short (like 1/8) resulting in the
previous measure to stretch out all the way to the right margin and
such things...)

I'm constantly changing the spacing values (nearly for every measure)
to ridiculous numbers just in order to stretch out or shrink measures
so that they line up with the timing of the graphics above. Empty
measures are always too short and I keep inserting invisible notes in
order to make the bar stretch. Whenever an additional note or
something else shows up in a measure, the whole spacing gets screwed
and I can start all over again, deleting invisible notes etc. (I think
I've spent more than 2 complete days redoing things which already had
been done).

I'm not complaining, this is just a warning to anybody, who is
interested in proportional notation. At this point it is not working
very well.

I'm trying to collect a list of things which make it somewhat
reproducable and will send that to the developers when I'm done. Maybe
it is easier to fix than I think...

--
Orm