Re: Slant of beams

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Slant of beams
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:10:07 +0100

I agree that the horizontal beams don't look too well. LilyPond uses some
clever mathematical algorithm to try to figure out what beam slope and
stem lengths to use, in an attempt to find a solution that looks pleasing to the
eye. However, it seems that it doesn't succeed completely in this particular
example. You can modify this manually, if you wish. See the section called
"Paired substitution functions" for an example that shows how to write a
helper function to do it.

For the slur, one solution is to force it to be below the notes, using:
       c16 es a_( g fis es  d c

  /Mats

Helge Kruse wrote:
Hello,

I have an excerpt of my score, that doesn't look nice. The beams are
horizontal in the first measure and I don't know why. The stem's length of D
and C is much too small. To avoid a collision the slur has been blown up and
looks like, ... "blown up".

How can I change the beam's slope (or whatever the correct English word is
;-)?

Regards,
Helge

\version "2.7.39"