Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:01:23 -0800

Jonathan Henkelman wrote:
In terms of making it easier, I don't know if it would be straight forward or not, but if the PDF version of the manual had chapter numbers in the table on contents that showed on the bookmark pane (to the left) it would make it much easier to bounce around and find one's way back again.

I'm sure that this can be done by adding a few words to some part of the doc and/or makefiles; the problem is simply finding the right place and figuring out the words. I'll look into this.

Is there a copy of the so called "programmers documentation" in a suitable format to download i.e. PDF (I know it would be long) or a few large HTML files, or an archive (tarball - whatever) of the current HTML documentation. I was hoping to do a bit more work on this over the break, but will have very limited web access...

There _is_ a documentation tarball, but I'm not certain if it includes the program reference.

Some type of doc. that oulined the lexical construction of Lilypond would be helpful. I am not used to the level on confusion I am experiencing now, when learning a "language".

As with all open-source projects, documentation depends on interested people writing material. I don't have the time to pursue such a project, but if you (or somebody else) wrote this material, I'd be more than happy to add it to the manual.

I am not even sure the manual is totally consistent on this point, e.g. (pg 209) [I have reformated it so it easier to read here]:
\applyOutput #'context #function % apply to Voice

To have it interpreted at the Score or Staff level use these forms
\context \applyOutput #'Score #function
\context \applyOutput #'Staff #function

Thanks, this has been fixed in the source archive. When the next version of lilypond comes out, it should be fixed on the web.

Finally, is the web interface for posting to this archive the most straight forward method? I tried posting this yesterday, but it got lost in the ether. Is there perhaps an email address I can send the post to, where it will get sent back for validation etc.

I believe the email address is at the bottom of every message on the list: address@hidden

Cheers,
- Graham