Re: ps and pdf question

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: ps and pdf question
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:00:37 +0100

Le vendredi 12 janvier 2007 à 11:01 -0800, Tim Reeves a écrit :
> Tom wrote:
> >. . . a somewhat unrelated question: In the creation of a PDF output
> >file, LilyPond creates an intermediate PostScript file.  That
> >PostScript file is sometimes viewable using gv and sometimes it gives
> >some errors.  But it never prints on any printer I tried it on
> >(several HP models, Gestetner/Ricoh, Xerox) - always either no pages
> >at all, or some error message about some fonts.  Is the PostScript
> >output at all meant to be publishable/printable?  It would be
> >convenient if for printing the sheets I could just print the
> >PostScript output to the printer directly, instead of having to go
> >through the PDF.

As far as I know, LilyPond PS output is to be processed by Ghostscript
(ps2pdf), it is not designed to be sent directly to a printer.

> My question is: can one dispense with the Postscript file altogether?
> I just use the pdf and always delete the ps file.
> Is there a way to save a step and processing time by just not
> producing the ps file in the first place?

No, LilyPond outputs PostScript, then Ghostscript (ps2pdf) converts it
to PDF.  On the contrary, if you have a viewer that can display PS files
produced by LilyPond, you can save the ps2pdf step by running LilyPond
with the --ps option.

Regards
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>