Re: LilyPondTool 2.10.3 released

From: Stephen Corey
Subject: Re: LilyPondTool 2.10.3 released
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:06:20 -0500

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:32:07 +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Stephen Corey escreveu:

>>> Ditto on Mac OS X-
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Stan
>>
>> Haven't downloaded this update yet, but runs better than ever on Linux and
>> the point and click and edit in place is truly an awesome timesaver.  I
>> just can't believe how fast Lilypond and this tool have advanced in the
>> couple years I've know about them.
>
> would it be a good idea to make LilyTool an officially recommended tool,
> eg. by linking it from the lilypond install page, and/or mentioning it in
> the manual?

If that is a question to all, my answer is a definite yes.  Lilypond has
a lot of dedicated users and I imagine many people continue to use
whatever they first began with to create and edit scores.  I started with
this tool and would highly recommend it to new users.  In terms of
user assistance and feedback, I haven't seen anything that compares to it.

Since new visitors are the ones likely to follow any links on the
website, it makes sense to direct them to something that will be a bit
familiar.  For programmers learning to write music, a terminal prompt can
be comfortable.  For musicians with limited or moderate computer skills,
ease of use and graphic feedback are important to have if you want them to
stick around long enough to learn how to use Lilypond. This tool seems to
be a good compromise between a text only environment and a WYSIWYG
application.