Re: ties between voices

From: Steve D
Subject: Re: ties between voices
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:40:16 -0700

First, on Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 08:15:24AM +0200, Joe Neeman wrote:
> We've had a few questions about ties between voices (especially ties from
> polyphony to chords). It seems that you can get this behaviour simply by
> moving the Tie_engraver form the Voice context to the Staff context. Note
> that the Tie_engraver was probably designed to live in the Voice context, so
> it may not work perfectly, but if people will test it and report problems
> then it will get fixed.
>
> \version "2.10.0"
> \layout {
>  \context {
>    \Staff
>    \consists "Tie_engraver"
>  }
>  \context {
>    \Voice
>    \remove "Tie_engraver"
>  }
> }
> \new Staff {
>  \relative {
>    <<
>      {a' b~ c d} \\
>      {a, b b' c}
>    >>
>  }
> }

--- ---

Then, Steve D wrote:
> Thank you very much for the suggestion, Joe. However, in LilyPond
> 2.11.12, if I add a layout section such as you suggested above, there is
> an error message when I invoke LilyPond to process the file--

--- ---

Then Han-Wen wrote:
> this should be fixed in .13, currently uploading.

--- ---

Steve D continues:

Yes, the error message disappears with LilyPond 2.11.13. Thank you so
much Han-Wen.

And Joe, thank *you* so much for the suggestion to move the Tie_engraver
from the default Voice context to the Staff context instead. So far,
working with staves in a PianoStaff context, your suggestion is working
brilliantly, although I have only begun to test it and the piano piece
I'm working on now will really stress-test the technique I believe,
because it has many of these temporary splitting of the notes of the
right or left hand into two or more voices per hand, often for just a
fraction of a measure or spanning just parts of two or more measures.

If this technique (removing the Tie_engraver from the Voice context to
the Staff context) continues to work well, and if any bugs it causes can
be fixed or sponsored to fix, then this is an incredibly good solution
to the problem of temporary, non-formal, intermittent voices that often
occur in the notated music of polyphonic instruments such as piano. It
*greatly* simplifies the LilyPond code in such circumstances, and I am
personally very excited and enthused about the results so far.

Thank you Joe (Neeman), and thank you Han-Wen and other developers.

-Steve D
New Mexico, US
Good fortune is what happens naturally in the life of a happy
man.