Re: Shorten one end of a trill spanner manually?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Shorten one end of a trill spanner manually?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:44:23 -0600

On 1/8/07, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
On 1/8/07, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> Trevor Bača escreveu:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any way to shoren one end (the right end) of a trill spanner by
> > hand?
> >
> > Something like ...
> >
> >  \once \override TrillSpanner #'shorten-pair = #'(0 . 2)
> >
> > ... would be ideal.
>
> the easiest I can think of is to shorten the spanner with bound-padding,
> and shift it a bit to the left.

Playing with bound-padding, it looks like bound-padding has the
unfortunate effect of creating a gap at the *left* end of the trill
spanner (opening up space between the "tr" and the beginning of the
trill line) rather than at the *right* end (which is where the
whitespace needs to open up instead).

%%% BEGIN BOUND PADDING %%%

\version "2.11.7"

\new Staff {
   \once \override TrillSpanner #'bound-padding = #4
   \once \override TrillSpanner #'extra-offset = #'(-4 . 0)
   c'4 \startTrillSpan
   c'4 \stopTrillSpan \startTrillSpan
   c'4 \stopTrillSpan
   c'4
}

%%% END %%%

Beginning in 2.11.14 there is now an explicit solution to this problem
of shortening left or right ends of spanners precisely.

The property in question is bound-details and many of the different
spanner grobs (such as TrillSpanner, TextSpanner and Glissando)
implement it.

%%% BEGIN BOUND-PADDING EX %%%

\version "2.11.14"

\new Staff {
 \override TrillSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'padding = #2
 c'4 \startTrillSpan
 \revert TrillSpanner #'bound-details #'right
 c'4 \stopTrillSpan \startTrillSpan
 c'4 \stopTrillSpan
 c'4
}

This puts an end to the need to use the multiplication-scaled skip
hack to shorten the right end of hairpins and the like.

(Note also four arguments to override instead of the usual three.)

Some other example bound-details subproperties appear in the 2.11 NEWS file.

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden