Re: problems with german umlauts

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: problems with german umlauts
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:06:11 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Jonathan Henkelman <address@hidden> writes
Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> ee.kth.se> writes:

You are mistaken. ASCII only defines character codes up to 127, see for
example http://www.asciitable.com/.
What your table shows is probably Latin1 (ISO 8859-1).

   /Mats

Mats: FYI I am using an ascii table in my "little black pocket ref." which
does not differentiate between standard and extended table.  Also I use the
one provided in MS Word.  It allows you to pick between Unicode (various
subsets) ASCII hex and decimal, but it also does not differentiate between
extended and basic.

What I am hearing hear in the larger context is that the "basic" ASCII set is
only 127 characters while what I am used to using is actually one of a number
of extended character sets...

Exactly. What you call "basic ASCII" is the character set that everybody agrees about - for example 32=space, 65="A". The problem with "extended ASCII", ie between 128 and 255, is that *nobody* *agrees* what those characters mean. In other words, it's NOT A STANDARD.

UTF-8 is the only way to write both in danish AND french on the same text...

On my machine I can write a single ascii text document (using the full table)
that is in german, spanish, danish, norwegian, french, english.

What character set are you using? It's all very well saying you can *write* a document in those languages, but there is NO GUARANTEE that anybody else will be able to READ that document! (Not unless you use something like UTF-8, that is ...)

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden