Notehead collisions, accidentals

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Notehead collisions, accidentals
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 17:27:43 +0000

Hi all,

This is really about three issues, but they're related, so bear with me
please.

1. There seems to have been a decision made at some point to merge
note heads in some cases (see collision-head-chords.ly in the
regression tests and the second chord in the example code below). I
personally find this ugly and cannot find an example in my library of
published music where an engraver has taken this same decision. I
prefer the forked stem solution - see the attached picture. I would be
interested in others' opinions on this, and advice as to any possible
workarounds.

2. Forcing the display of all accidentals with ! demonstrates a
collision bug - perhaps forced accidentals are bypassing the accidental
collision code?

3. These points are both related to a feature request for a new
accidental style which is common in quite a lot of contemporary music.
That is, accidentals, including naturals, before _every_ note,
excepting immediate repetitions.

I see some of these things have been discussed previously, but no
conclusions reached...

Mark

%%
\version "2.10.13"