Re: remove time signature

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: remove time signature
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:22:04 +0000 (UTC)

Dr. Johannes Zellner <johannes <at> zellner.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> How can I remove the time signature? -- I googled and found
>
>     \override TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t
>
> which works but leaves some space for the 'transparent' time signature.
>
> So: how can I completely remove the time signature?
>

>From the lilypond online documentation, I went to the index and looked up
Time Signature.

A reference on that page points me to the TimeSignature object in the
program reference.  Following that link, I get a list of properties that
can be adjusted.  One of them is break-visibility, which seems like it
might apply, because I want to make it invisible.

Links on this page point to various interfaces used by TimeSignature.  One
is item interface, which discusses how break-visibility can be used to make
the time signature show up at the end of a line, at the beginning of a line,
or never.

A second link on the time signature page points me to the grob-interface,
which contains the stencil property that describes the item to print.

Recent discussions on making accidentals invisible show how to use
break-visibility
(http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-02/msg00238.html)
and  stencil
(http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-02/msg00285.html)
to keep from printing accidentals.  Both of these could be used to prevent
time signatures from printing by applying them to TimeSignature instead of
to Accidental.  I prefer to use the break-visibility override instead of
the stencil override, because I think it is the more logical property to
make things invisible.

Also, from the TimeSignature page in the program reference, we see a link to
Time_signature_engraver.  There we learn that Time_signature_engraver is part
of a Staff context.  This leads to the following code:

%%% BEGIN %%%

\version "2.10.5"

\new Staff {
  \override Staff.TimeSignature #'break-visibility = #all-invisible
  cis'4
  cis'4
  cis'4
  cis'4
  \time 3/4
  \break
  cis'4
  cis'4
  cis'4
  cis'4
}

which works -- the time signatures are all removed, and no space for them is
allowed.

Carl Sorensen