Re: Not happy with results

From: yota moteuchi
Subject: Re: Not happy with results
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:36:59 -0400

On 3/18/07, Matthias Berndt <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I tried writing a few lines with lilypond, but I don't like the way that the
result looks. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think so. In the
attachments, you'll find some source code and the resulting pdf.

The big bracket at the beginning of the second line crosses the bar number,
which looks odd to me.

Yes, this padding property is well tuned for simple staff, with the bracket you should put a
\override Score.BarNumber #'padding = #2
somewhere in your score { }
Lilypond give a pretty good result out of the box... but manual tuning is also a part of the game... hopefully, you can re-use your preferred tweaks in a snap.

The crescendo at the beginning of the second line is
much longer for Alto and 2nd Bass than for Soprano, Tenor and 1st Bass, and
of course it's not supposed to.

You ended your crescendo one note later in the 2nd and last part.

a4 \< b c d
e4 d \! c b
here the crescendo start on a "a" and end on a "d" (not after the "d" but on it... and if the "d" is the first note in a bar, the typographic rule says to stop the hairpin at the bar... even if you can disable this behaviour, have a look at the doc)

line 27 was : g2^\mf^\< g4 (fis) g (fis)^\! e e e a a g a f fis^\> (e)
line 27 : g2^\mf^\< g4 (fis) g ( ^\! fis) e e e a a g a f fis^\> (e)
or (to show that the order doesn't matter, every "supplementary symbol" always refers to the previous note : "\!" "-." "(" "\mf" etc.)
line 27 : g2^\mf^\< g4 (fis) g ^\! (fis) e e e a a g a f fis^\> (e)

Are there any workarounds for those issues? I'm using the latest development
release of lilypond.