Re: problems with repeats-doc, was: afterGrace

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: problems with repeats-doc, was: afterGrace
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 14:21:19 +0200

Le samedi 19 mai 2007 à 12:18 +0300, Till Rettig a écrit :
> John Mandereau wrote:
> > As always, don't fear asking other questions about unclear docs details
> > like the afterGraceFraction thing.
> >
> ;-) Yes, here is another one! I don't understand the logic behind the
> second example
> with volta repetition in 6.7.2. In my understanding the first fourth
> in the second volta (that
> is fourth repeat time) doesn't belong here. I would repeat the first
> part three times, and thus
> the upbeat fills the gap left by in the first volta which contains
> only three beats. But then
> I would skip the first volta and go directly to the second, and
> suddenly I have one beat too much
> in my music. What kind of convention is this meant to be?

I assume the word you mean by 'fourth' is 'quarter (note)' in American
English, isn't it?

Well, I agree with you the first quarter a is extraneous, it should be
dropped:

\new Staff {
       \partial 4
       \repeat volta 4 { e | c2 d2 | e2 f2 | }
       \alternative { { g4 g g } { \set Timing.measurePosition =
#(ly:make-moment 0 4) a a a a | b2. } }
     }

but there is also a cleaner solution:

\new Staff {
       \partial 4 e4
       \repeat volta 4 { c2 d2 | e2 f2 | }
       \alternative { { g4 g g e } { a a a a | b2. } }
     }

IIRC I have already seen the second solution in printed scores, but not
the first.  Which one should we put in the manual?

Cheers
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>