Re: lyrics collision (and thanks to Peter)

From: Neil Thornock
Subject: Re: lyrics collision (and thanks to Peter)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 06:22:08 -0600

Aha, thank you, that makes sense (and it works to boot).

On 8/8/07, Valentin Villenave <address@hidden > wrote:
2007/8/8, Neil Thornock <address@hidden>:

> For the life of me I can't figure out why the lyrics in the bass line
> collide in the following snippet (below).

That's because (IIUC) LilyPond tries to align the lyrics with the
first Voice it founds. In case you want to add different lyrics, with
different rhythm, to another melody (hence another Voice, whether it's
on the same Staff or not), you have to explicitly specify which is the
relevant associatedVoice (see below). By the way, giving names to your
contexts is a good principle, but as Lyrics are associated to a Voice
(not a Staff), you'd better introduce your vocal staves with

\new Voice = "soprano"

or

\new Staff = "sopStaff" \new Voice = "soprano"

instead of what you're using:

\new Voice = "soprano"

Good luck!

Valentin

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.11.28"

soprano = \relative c' {
\time 3/4 c4 c c
\time 4/4 c2 c
}

bass = \relative c' {
\clef bass \time 3/4 f,4. f
\time 4/4 f f8~ f4 f
}

soplyrics = \lyricmode {
hoff4 hoff hoff hoff2 hoff
}

baslyrics = \lyricmode {
hoff4. shifted over -- lap shifted4
}

\score {
\new ChoirStaff = choir <<
\new Voice = soprano \soprano
\new Lyrics \soplyrics

\new Voice = bass \bass
\new Lyrics {\set associatedVoice = #"bass" \baslyrics }