SVG output sponsorship

From: Vivian Barty-Taylor
Subject: SVG output sponsorship
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:00:35 +0200

It seems to me that having reliable (bug-free) SVG output would be a big plus for Lilypond. At the present time, I have been unable to fix all the font problems (not sure whether this is Lilypond or Inkscape which is giving me trouble.) To get to where I am at I had to make a lot of changes by hand to the SVG file which is tedious. (Specifically, the italic sans-serif fonts still don't work.)

The main advantage of the SVG output (I would suggest) is that small changes to positions of objects can be done in a WYSIWYG environment, instead of the current estimate-how-much-I-have-to-move-that-object/ add line of code/ re-process score/ find out I haven't moved it enough/ moved it too much/ change values of #'padding or #'extra-offset etc. etc. all of which is time consuming especially with big projects.

While I'm a committed Lilyponder, and much prefer the output to other programs, this would seem to be a valuable investment in terms of user-friendliness. Could you give me an estimate of what this would cost, Han-Wen? Are there others who would be willing to co-sponsor this?

Cheers,
Vivian.