Battle of the beginning of a measure: Rehearsal marks vs. Manual volta b

From: Romel Anthony Bismonte
Subject: Battle of the beginning of a measure: Rehearsal marks vs. Manual volta brackets
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:10:25 +1000

Hi all,

I have no knowledge as to how LilyPond does the spacing for this specific situation, but I seem to have a war going on between the rehearsal mark (marking the second line as a Coda) and the Volta bracket.

% --- original file --- %
\version "2.10.25"
#(define-markup-command (jumptext layout props txt)
    (string?)
    (interpret-markup layout props
        (markup #:small #:italic txt)
    )
)

codatext = \markup \line {
    \smaller \musicglyph #"scripts.coda"
    \jumptext #"Coda"
}

dsalcoda = \markup \line {
    \dalsegno
    \jumptext #"al Coda"
    \translate #(cons 1 1)
    \small \musicglyph #"scripts.coda"
}

\paper {
    ragged-right = ##t
}
\score {
    \new Voice = "test" \relative c' {
        e2 r4
        c16 d e
        g^\markup \dsalcoda
        \break
        \bar "||"
        \mark \markup \line {
            \hspace #0
            \translate #(cons -12 4)
            \codatext
        }
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'(start-repeat (volta "1.-3."))
        a,2 ~ a8 d16 e d c a g
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) end-repeat (volta "4."))
        a1 ~
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
        a1\fermata
        \bar "|."

The three definitions before the score block (jumptext, codatext, and dsalcoda) are in a file called "oldschooljumps.ly" which in my actual project is \included in. I just put them inline here so that the whole thing would compile as one file.

As you can see, the volta bracket begins "after" the low half-note A, when in fact it should begin right before that. What I think is happening is that the Rehearsal Mark containing the Coda has its own space, and is pushing the volta bracket a bit to the right. How do I make the volta stretch to the beginning of the measure? Would it work if I were to remove the Coda from space calculations by \overriding the TextScript's #'extra-offset?

Thank you very much in advance.

Romel

P.S. When is Version 2.12 coming out?

Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more! Check out the New MSN Mobile