Re: lilypond installation

From: Vasil Kadifeli
Subject: Re: lilypond installation
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:53:24 +0300

I am a newbie to lilypond and music too ;)
as far as I understand your question here is my explanation :

when you click on the lilypond shortcut, which is probably on your desktop, the cmd.exe program runs and a black window appears... this is where lilypond runs...

then a text file with .ly extension opens in front of you... that's the lilypond template file which you can save to write your lilypond notation scripts... now save that file under a directory where you will be working to create lilypond scripts and close it... the cmd.exe window will be closed automatically... say you save the template file under the name LilyTemp.ly...

after that you can copy the LilyTemp.ly file under another name, probably something related to what are you doing, say Bethoven_xyz.ly... then open it and write your own lilypond script inside that new file... save it and double click it... now the cmd.exe window will open to execute you script and create the Bethoven_xyz.pdf file if you are lucky enough your script is error free... the cmd.exe window will close automatically...

in case you have errors in your script the errors will be placed into the Bethoven_xyz.log file which you can right click and "open with notepad.exe" to find out what is wrong with your script...

if you have created you Bethoven_xyz.pdf file and you want to listen to the music, adding the appropriate script into your Bethoven_xyz.ly file and double clicking it will also create the Bethoven_xyz.midi file which you can also double click to listen to the music...

be careful that when one of these files either Bethoven_xyz.pdf or Bethoven_xyz.log or Bethoven_xyz.midi is open (no problem if Bethoven_xyz.ly is open) lilypond will not produce any output...

so

Bethoven_xyz.ly      is   your lilypond notation script (open it with Notepad.exe)
Bethoven_xyz.log    is   the error log of your script (open it with Notepad.exe)
Bethoven_xyz.pdf    is   the output notation document file
Bethoven_xyz.midi  is   the music file

I hope it helps...
Vasil